Here is a great and Simple Chicken recipes that I occasionally do. Who does not like a good general tao! It is not the healthiest recipe but it is really good from time to time! You can also try replacing the chicken with the tofu. Before telling you the recipe, here is a little bit on the origin of the general tao :
There are several stories concerning the origin of the dish. Eileen Yin-Fei Lo states in her book The Chinese Kitchen that the dish originates from a simple Hunan chicken dish, and that the reference to “Zongtang” was not a reference to Zuo Zongtang’s given name, but rather a reference to the homonym “zongtang”, meaning “ancestral meeting hall.” Consistent with this interpretation, the dish name is sometimes (but considerably less commonly) found in Chinese as “Zuo ancestral hall chicken”. (Chung tong gai is a transliteration of “ancestral meeting hall chicken” from Cantonese; Zuǒ Zōngtáng jī is the standard name of General Tso’s chicken as transliterated from Mandarin.). That is the origin of that simple chicken recipes.
Now here is the recipe :
Total Time : 50 min
- Preparation Time : 30 min
- Cooking Time : 20 min
Total Servings : 4
Simple Chicken Recipes Ingredients :
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
Simple Chicken Recipes Sauce:
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated ginger
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) green onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ketchup
- 1 – Coat the chicken with cornstarch
- 2 – In a bowl, mix the egg, flour, baking powder and salt. Add chicken and coat well.
- 3 – In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until chicken is browned on the outside and he no longer pink inside. Place chicken on a plate and reserve.
- 4 – Add sesame oil, ginger and green onions in the pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add water, vinegar and sugar. Simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- 5 – Meanwhile, dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce. Add the mixture of soy sauce, oyster sauce and ketchup to skillet. Simmer for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Return the chicken to the sauce and stir to heat the chicken.
- 6 – Serve on a bed of basmati rice or white rice made in a chicken broth.
Please give me feed back on this Simple Chicken Recipes !